Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Statue of limitations for petty theft in California.

I put my two weeks notice in at a job I had a K-mart as a cashier. During my last two weeks I was pulled into the office and was shown 3 video tapes of me checking out employees with discrepencies. I had an explaination for all three. They told me they believed me but felt I needed some additional training before I continued working and since I was leaving in about a week anyway I should just go ahead an consider it my last day. Now just today 2 1/2 years later I got this letter from a law firm asking for $250 or K-Mart will file a claim against me under penal code 490.5 for this incident. What is the statute of limitations for penal code 490.5. The date of the incident according to them is 4/21/99. Also if they are still within the statute of limitations, what could happen to me if they really did go ahead and file a complaint? I am innocent and don't think I should pay $250 for something I didn't do but if it is going to cost me that much to prove my innocence, I might as well just pay it. And finally if it wouldn't cost me much to prove my innocence, based on the few facts I gave you, do you think I might be found guilty? Shouldn't they have called the police right then two years ago if they doubted my innocence?

Victor Hobbs Victor E. Hobbs

Re: Statue of limitations for petty theft in California.

490.5 is a very long section. However, there is a provision for a store to recover a portion of their cost of security from a person convicted of shop lifting. Your name somehow got into the system and they sent you a form letter. I think it is best for you to ignore the letter; or second best choice would be to write them back, and tell them you were never charged or convicted.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA