Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am a 51 year old grandmother of my.daughters 1 year old daughter we live in kern county in california I am on felony probation for drugs until the end of 2014. I am not using drugs anymore. My daughters 73 year old granma her dads mom just got temperory gaurdianship. I didnt even know about it. Now she wont let me see my grand.daughter at all. Her son my daughters dad . Is also on felony probation for drugs but of course she lets him see and vist my grand daughter. there will be hearing in September do I have any chance of visitation or guardianship

Asked on 7/21/13, 1:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The guardian is empowered by the court to determine who, in her judgment, may have contact with the minor child. You may petition the court to request contact with the child, but the priority will be access based on the judgment of the guardian. The interests of the biological parents may be taken into consideration but a grandparent with the challenges that you have will need to establish that contact with the child is in the child's best interest. I recommend using family court mediation services if they are available to work out a visitation or contact schedule. Good luck with this.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/13, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now