Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am a 51 year old grandmother of my.daughters 1 year old daughter we live in kern county in california I am on felony probation for drugs until the end of 2014. I am not using drugs anymore. My daughters 73 year old granma her dads mom just got temperory gaurdianship. I didnt even know about it. Now she wont let me see my grand.daughter at all. Her son my daughters dad . Is also on felony probation for drugs but of course she lets him see and vist my grand daughter. there will be hearing in September do I have any chance of visitation or guardianship

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin

The guardian is empowered by the court to determine who, in her judgment, may have contact with the minor child. You may petition the court to request contact with the child, but the priority will be access based on the judgment of the guardian. The interests of the biological parents may be taken into consideration but a grandparent with the challenges that you have will need to establish that contact with the child is in the child's best interest. I recommend using family court mediation services if they are available to work out a visitation or contact schedule. Good luck with this.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California