Legal Question in Family Law in California

Disowning an adult child financially and otherwise

I understand that if I want to disown my adult son, I can just write him out of my will. However, at some point, he may be my last surviving relative and he's the last person in the world that I'd want as my ''next of kin'' who might be able to make medical or other important decisions about my life. How do I ensure that he is never called upon to make an important decision about my life or my welfare?

H.M. Torrey The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey

Re: Disowning an adult child financially and otherwise

from the facts given thus far, you have several options you can legally exercise to help ensure your "worse case scenario" does not transpire in respect to the adult child you wish to "disown".

various types of wills and/or trusts can be used to effectuate your intent here. if you would like further legal assistance in these matters, email us directly today. warmest regards.

Steve Lopez The Law Offices of Steve Lopez

Based on the facts provided thus far, your concerns can be resolved with careful estate planning. Please contact us directly if you wish to discuss this further. Warmest regards.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California