Legal Question in Family Law in California

can a father sign over his parental rights to his child?

Asked on 12/14/11, 10:02 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Schneider Family Law Center
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Only if someone else is attempting to adopt the child as in a step parent adoption, for example.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/11, 5:19 pm
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr. Schneider is exactly right. The public policy of the law is that a child who has an identified father is entitled to keep that father unless and until someone else wants to take on responsibility for the child by adoption, or the state finds the father unfit and takes the child.

Read more
Answered on 12/15/11, 1:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now