Legal Question in Family Law in California

I did not get prenup before I get married, how can I protect my asset?

I'm living in Calif., got married out of country and in process to get green card for my wife, thanks.

Asked on 1/11/13, 10:08 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should speak to a competent attorney with experience in family law and estate planning issues and see if you can do a "post-nuptial" agreement.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/13, 11:04 am
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can always do a post-nuptual agreement. The only question is what can go in it and how to make sure it is both fair and "sticks." You will need a local attorney to work with in person on that. You can also expect to need to pay an independent attorney to at least review and advise your wife on signing it. It will be cheap insurance against her later claiming she was railroaded into signing it, and it may be mandatory depending on the provisions you include.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/13, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now