Legal Question in Family Law in California

Will my new wife have to pay my back child support?

Asked on 10/23/13, 11:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Not directly, but community assets can be levied to pay back support debts, and most other debts. So if, for example, her paycheck is deposited in a joint account with you, the money could be taken to pay the back support. The same with investment accounts, etc. Anything that is held in your name is fair game, and anything she contributes to that has your name on it can be subject to collection proceedings for child support or any debt.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 11:43 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

She should keep her earnings in a separate account for which you have no withdrawal rights. That is the only way to protect her earnings.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 9:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now