Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I went to Safeway one day and the security guard n pulled me aside and told me that customers we saying that they saw a young black woman stuffing things in her sweater. He asked to pat me down to see if I was lying... I said fine whatever... He proceeded n patted me down... So first of all I am not black i am Filipino and 2nd of all he can not single me out unless he saw if I had stole something right? So what should I do? Do I have a case that I can proceed with Safeway or the security company?

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

The guard doesn't have to personally see a theft in order to act on it. It sounds like he didn't have good reason to suspect you, but when he asked for permission to pat you down you gave it to him. That would make it very hard for you to complain the search violated your rights.

I can't help but notice that you don't claim to be innocent. Maybe that's just an oversight on your part. But if you really were hiding merchandise in your sweater then you would have an even harder time winning a lawsuit.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

I agree with Mr Hoffman's opinion.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Your agreement to allow him to search you will make your intended action very difficult if not impossible to win.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms