California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/22/13, 1:46 pm

The air conditioner broke at my apartment in California almost 2 months ago. I immediately put in a work order & let them know when it happened (during 112 degree heatwave). The maintenance man has been working on it on and off since, but couldn't fix it. I put in 4 more work orders since because it wasn't fixed. It's been over 90 degrees in apartment for periods of time over the last 2 months, with 2 adults & 4 kids feeling hot & sick for so long doesn't seem reasonable. We paid rent, paid money on eating out, cooling off & staying other places because it was not livable conditions. Finally after demanding change they called a professional and it was fixed by the next day. My issue is that had they taken those proper steps in beginning, we wouldn't have had to suffer unlivable circumstances for almost 2 months and extra expenses. Would this fall under "the implied warranty of habitability"? I would like to get compensated for rent and extra unnecessary expenses during that time. What is best way to do that? what are my rights? is it better to try to talk to corporate, and what is best to say or take to small claims?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search