California  |  Legal Ethics

In July 2009, a police officer was investigating me for a crime in southern California. I spoke to the police officer who wanted me to come down to swab my mouth for the crime. I decided to hire a lawyer, who made a call or two to the police officer, and accompanied me to the police station where the police officer swabbed my mouth. At that point I never heard back from the police officer on the charges, nor did my attorney.

I recently heard about a lot of attorneys getting in trouble for charging incredibly high fees for doing next to nothing. I paid this lawyer $5,000 for him to make a call or two (which got no further than when I did it) and to accompany me to the police station. I did not sign any contract, either. I just paid the $5,000 from my credit card. Is this an unconcionable fee? I want to see if there is any way of getting some or all of this back. Is there a legal argument? An ethical argument? Should I reach out to the attorney? Is there a statute of limitations issue here? Any advice is greatly appreciated.