California  |  Real Estate Law

adverse possession

Just purchased A bank owned property and moved in. as I went through fixing it up I found sewer line going through my basement which is tied up to the adjacent house. Some gas line and water line does the same. Neighbors told me that that next-door house belongs to the same person that lost mine to the bank.-the house is abandoned for over a year. The questions are. 1 can I go to the next door house and disconnect whatever is tied up to my house without risking some legal ramifications?

2. Since the property is abandoned (doors are opened trash all over some spilled over to my side) I think I would like to clean and make the place more presentable thus eliminate the risk of bad impression of the neighborhood.

3. does maintaining that house produces grounds for adverse possession assuming I pay the taxes and keep the yard up.

Thanks