Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I am planning on selling my house that's already paid for to purchase a new one. How much time do I have in between selling it and buying a new one to avoid paying any taxes. Also, all my utility bills are in my brother's name, who's my roomate. I bought it 3.5 years ago. How do I prove that I've lived in it all along to the IRS, etc?

Thank you.

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

There is no time limit, because there is no way to avoid taxes on it by purchasing a new property. Either you owe capital gains at the time of sale or you don't. In the old days, personal residences could be rolled over tax free, like a 1031 exchange of investment real estate. For some time now, however, there has simply been a blanket exemption on taxes on the first $250,000 of capital gains for single tax payers and $500,000 for married couples and registered domestic partners. Anything over that you pay tax on, no matter what you do with the proceeds.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California