Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I am in the process of purchasing a below market rate condo through the Mayor's Office of Housing.

We have 2 contracts from the seller. The seller wants to void the original one, and replace it with the second one-- which includes many disclosures that favor the seller while creating many a disadvantages for the buyer.

I was told by the Dept. of Real Estate that the original contract is still valid, if I did not sign the second one. I haven't.

In the meantime, I have drafted up a third contract which reflects the seller's contracts-- only without all the disclosures that would put the buyer at a disadvantage.

My question is this: If I present the third contract, does this make void the original one?


Asked on 9/22/13, 6:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Presenting a third contract would probably constitute a rejection of the first and second contract proposals, thus voiding them. It seems to me you are wading into deep water here, writing contracts, relying upon the DRE to give you opinions, etc. Unless you have a lot of prior real estate experience, I'd recommend that you get a contract attorney to advise you, or this give-and-take on contracts, including trying to draft your own, may get you in a bunch of trouble.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/13, 8:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now