California  |  Real Estate Law

Seller responsibility for unpermitted construction/remodeling

Approximately one year ago I purchased a home sold by seller and ''Help-U-Sell''. I recently learned from a neighbor that there was quite a bit of remodeling/construction without building permits. The entire roof was rebuilt and shingled and a permit was issued to the contractor, but not finaled. The seller replaced and relocated the hvac unit and rewired it himself without a permit. The seller constructed an outbuilding on a slab with electrical and water and no permit applied for. The seller added a dining room to the kitchen area, roughly an 8 x 10 bump out of two load bearing walls with electrical and window, and no permit applied for. I checked with the county office to make sure there were no permits. Do I have any legal recourse to hold the seller responsible for making this right, or does the responsibility now fall on me? Also, how will the unpermitted changes affect my homeowners insurance?