Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

How can beneficiaries obtain a copy of a Living Trust?

My sister & brother were named co-trustees of my parents living trust several years ago (my mother passed on 6 years ago, my father 4 years). They have not been forthcoming at all & ignored our requests for accounting records, estate paperwork etc. My brother & I would like to get a copy of the final trust papers (we were never given or even shown these at the time of my fathers passing). I contacted my parents lawyer (who is also my sisters lawyer) & was told that he couldn't give me copies, I would have to get them from one of the executors. I live in Iowa, the trust was filed in California & my two siblings also live there. There was a substantial amount of money/properties etc left to the four of us. What can I do, to obtain a copy of the living trust?

Donald Field Donald L. Field, Jr., Attorney at Law

Re: How can beneficiaries obtain a copy of a Living Trust?

you should request a copy of the trust and an accounting since inception of the trust in writing. if you do not receive a response you will need to retain an attorney in the county where the trust is administered (the residence of the trustees) to file a petition with the court for an accounting.

Mitchell Roth MW Roth, Professional Law Corporation

You have to hire an attorney to represent you here. If I were representing you and your brother I would check the court records and property records to see what could be learned and make a demand to the co-trustees for an accounting citing the applicable California laws. If it were not forthcoming, or if I suspected that it was not honest or accurate, I would counsel suing for an accounting so that the power of the court were available to get to the bottom of the facts.

Phillip Lemmons, Esq. Phillip Lemmons APC, Attorneys at Law

You are entitled to a copy. Why hasn't it been distributed already? You may have bigger problems than you think. Send certified requests to each co-trustee demanding a copy of the trust. Give them 10 days. If you don't receive it, retain an attorney for assistance.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA