California  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/12/09, 10:43 pm


My dad died 10 months ago in California.My half sister and brother called and I attend the funeral. They were from his 1st marriage and I was born illegitamate.This is known by his family and friends through my Dad.He was divorced from their mom.My sister told me that the 3 of us were in the will that he left.We found $20,000 cash in his home and after we paid for the funeral, we split the remaining. I went back to La. and she told me that she would be contacting me to take care of the remaining business-house,property and insurance policies. After I did not hear from her after 3-4 weeks, I continued to call her with no success.She will not return my calls.I sent for a copy of the will from the courthouse, but they replied that no will on file for him. My name is on the obituary and I have a deposit slip from the cash we split for $3000.My brother called last week to tell me that he would send me a copy of the will because for some reason he too is discruntled with his sister.What recourse do I have to claim my inheritance?What can I do from get this resolved?If I get a copy of the will, what would be the next step?Under Ca. law how can I legally claim my third of my father's estate, home and insurance policies? Thanks!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search