Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

I have been (not legally) separated from my estranged husband since 2009. I don't know where he is at this time. I wish to have no contact with him, even if I was able to find him due to a violent and confrontational past. Basically, dissolution based on irreconcilable differences. What's the best way to proceed with this.

Dave Rich Flatiron Legal Advisors, LLC

To start a divorce, you have to serve the other party. Even if you don't know where they are, you have to try to find them (we us a low-cost detective to search), and you have to state to the court that you cannot find him and petition the court to serve him by publication, which involves publishing a notice in the newspaper for 5 weeks.

You then can proceed to a divorce. After filing financial disclosures and a couple other documents, and 90 more days, the court will enter a decree of divorce by default and you are done.

We can help you do all the paperwork, get all the timing right, etc. for a missing spouse divorce for $795; let me know if you would like assistance or to discuss your case further.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado