Colorado  |  Wills and Trusts

Only beneficiary denied access to deceased fathers bank account with no will

Before my father passed away he had me sign for access to his bank account-checking and safe deposit box. He also had a savings account at the same bank, which Im sure he thought was included in the things I was signing for. Turns out we overlooked the savings account which I am denied access to, result of not signing for separately. I've closed the checking account and safe deposit box but still receive statements for savings account-even though Im not named specifically on......? We were sure there was a will, thought it was in the safe deposit box but it is nowhere to be found. I am an only child and my father was very ill. He did write me an informal letter stating that I was in charge of his possessions, material things and what I could do with them-keep or not. I dont believe he was specific about accounts/money considering he thought he had taken care of that. Banker has requested the following in order close the savings account....copy of my Nevada drivers lic., original death certificate, small estate claim paper for colorado (my father actually died in Arizona-not sure if that matters?), Personal Representation papers. Cant figure out what small estate claim is, where do i get personal rep.papers. Help please