Connecticut  |  Legal Ethics

private road law enforcement by municipality

I bought a house and property on a private dead-end road in New Fairfield, Ct. This road used to have an access road connecting it back onto a main road. This road was eliminated and a cul-de-sac was built which runs over private land. There are recorded maps and deeds showing this change.

I have a deeded easement into perputuity onto the named road as recorded on my deed. This easement is also of Neccesity, since my house and property is landlocked if the recorded turn-a-around that was built ingress and egress is blocked. I have used my easement without obstructions until May, 2007, when the property owner of over which my easement runs began chaining off the end of the cul-de-sac.

I filed a complaint with the zoning enforcement officer, who refused to submit it to the Zoning board, stating that the town does not get involved with private roads, yet she acted on a complaint of a scrap yard being run by a neighbor.

I decided to put in a small drive to allow me to turn around. 1 neighbor installed a long paved dr. last year without a permit. I recieved a call from the dept. of health forbidding me to do anything until he inspected. I mentioned the illegal dr., & he is not interested.

Can I sue the town for bias?