Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Connecticut

tenants rights

My landlord is selling the house I live in. As far as Real Estate Agents go, am I obligated to let them in to my apartment without an appointment when they knock at my door? Also, can they have access to my apartment without my consent when I am not at home? Where can I look up Connecticut General Statutes Section 47a-16? Thanks

John Heffernan Heffernan Legal Group, LLP

Re: tenants rights

Much of it depends on what your lease says. Basically, however, you can't unreasonably withhold permission for the landlord (or his realtor) to enter the premises to show it. However, the showing has to be at a reasonable time and after you've been given reasonable notice. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to insist on being there, but nights and weekends are fair game. You should be able to find the statute on the state's website, or at any public library.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Connecticut