Florida  |  Consumer Law

I made an opinion comment on Facebook which read to "take extreme caution in doing business of any type" and that I believed that they operated without integrity and honor. This is my opinion. As the company began to have conversation on the post I was reported to Facebook for hate / spam and consequently banned from posting.

The background: I entered to an online program with the company. I withdrew from the program within the first thirty days and made a request for the 100% money back guarantee in writing. The first month went without reply and they debited my account for an additional $699.00. A few exchanges of email where I did in fact get angry. I was told to stop harassing but was not given a reply regarding the refund. The second month once more they deducted from my debit card. I went to the bank to file fraud charges as they were not authorized to deduct the money and wrote the comment on my personal profile on facebook.

I have now received a letter from a legal firm stating that I must remove the post (which I can't - facebook already removed), retract my opinion as they are stating it caused harm to the company’s reputation, and I must publically apologize for stating my opinion or they will sue me for defamation of character.

My question is regarding the law of stating your opinion about a business, is it legal to state a negative comment regarding a business or is that opinion deemed defamation of character?