Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

false accusation

can u be arrested if you just received notice that someone is accusing u of a crime you didn't commit?

Asked on 5/07/09, 9:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kendall Horween Kendall L. Horween, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: false accusation

Yes, you can be arrested. Getting someone arrested is not difficult at all. All someone has to do is sign a sworn statement relaying information that someone committed a crime. It's especially easy if the writer of the statement knows the accused since then they can actually name the person.

Of course, it's a crime to make a false statement. However, it's very difficult to PROVE someone lied. Your word vs. theirs will not be sufficient to get a person charged with false official statement.

Kendall Horween

Kendall L. Horween, P.A.

1211 Orange Avenue

Orlando, FL


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 5/08/09, 7:04 am
David Kotler Schwartz, Gold, Cohen, Zakarin, & Kotler
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: false accusation

Unfortunately an arrest can be made once law enforcement has probable cause to believe that you have committed a crime. Generally, we would like to believe that law enforcement will in a situation like yours, speak with the accuser and attempt to obtain additional corroborating evidence prior to making an arrest. This evidence gathering may take the form of speaking with you. I would suggest obtaining advice of counsel prior to speaking with the police. Frankly, obtaining counsel early in a situation like this is quite beneficial and can prevent the arrest or filing of charges rather than trying to clean it up on the back end.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/09, 9:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now