Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

NOLLE PROS-COMP PTI If this is what my case says from 1991 case charges dropped file distroyed and I was arrested for petty theft in 2010, will it be considered second offence ? Should I get a public defender I was laid off.I am scared and do not know what I should do. If I could come up with some money how much would it cost ? Would I still have to go to court or would the attorney be able to appear for me. If I plead guilty what is the worse that can happen ? They have a good case and I have no defence, that I know of.

Asked on 4/29/10, 4:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Well the charge would not legally be considered a "second" offense because the first one ws dismissed. However, the state may want to use that charge to ask for a higher sentence. You should get representation regardless of whether it is a private attorney or public defender. You probably know that public defenders are overworked so a private attorney will be able to get you more attention. However, if you can't afford an attorney then that is your only option. Petit theft can either be a 1st degree misdemeanor, which means punishable by one year jail, or a 2nd degree misdemeanor, punishable by 60 days jail. Having an attorney is your best defense in avoiding any jail.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/10, 6:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88393 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Charles AspinwallCharles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLCLos Lunas, NM
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now