Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

i have a 4 year old son whos father left when he was not even 2 years old, the father now wants to come back and have custody of the child. He doesnt know the father and the father hasnt been paying child support regularly, what can I do to intervien??

Elliot Goldstein Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein

Has custody previously been determined by the Courts?

Has "Daddy" filed any paperwork with the Court to gain custody? If so, when were you served?

If he hasn't filed a petition with the Court, then I suggest encouraging him to ease into the child's life. This assumes he isn't a low-life with significant criminal and/substance abuse history.

You should pursue child support.

If he is has started the process in the Courts, then hire an attorney a.s.a.p.

In Florida, with family law cases, depending on the parties' comparative financial resources, the Courts have the discretion to hold one party responsible for all, or part, of the other's attorney fees and costs. In other words, if the other party has significantly stronger financial resources, do not assume that you will not be able to afford to retain an attorney.

If you opt to proceed without the assistance of counsel, be aware that you will not be entitled to a “do over” if things go badly.

The above information is provided without any consideration/payment having been received, and without full knowledge of all of the facts.

An internet inquiry is no substitution for an in-office consultation with an attorney.

Contact me to schedule a no obligation consultation.

Feel free to Google me.

Sincerely, Elliot Goldstein

Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein, P.A.

1587 Main St., Ste. C

Dunedin, FL 34698

Tele. No.: 727/455-6596

550 N. Reo St. Ste. 300

Tampa, FL 33609

Tele. No.: 813/810-1500

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida