Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My husband wants to adopt my son

I had a son with a person that lives in another country (Dominican Republic), I came to U.S a day after my child was conceived, and my child was born in U.S, and my name is the only one on the birth certificate.

I have been married for a year to a man that has been the father figure of my child (we married when my son was 7 months). My son's biological father has never paid a penny for him, las time we talked on the phone was about 6 months

ago.

How can my husband legally adopt my son? would we need the consent of the biological father? even though there is no legal document that says he is the father?

William Gwaltney William W. Gwaltney, Attorneys at Law

Re: My husband wants to adopt my son

The biological father's rights will have to be terminated by court order, if he is not willing to consent, before your husband can legally adopt your son. You should consult with an attorney who handles adoption. I believe that my office may be of assistance in this area.

If you would like to call or email me I would be happy to discuss your situation with you further.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida