Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

No will? Uncle added friend's name to accounts?

January of 2005 my uncle (72 years old) was diagnosed with liver cancer. Not knowing how long he had, he added his ''girl''-friends name to his checking account, car title, and supposedly condo title so that she could make sure his bills were paid while in the hospital or under hospice care. 30 days later he died. He supposedly had no Will made out. Do all of his belongings belong to the ''girl''-friend since he put her name on the accounts, or does his family have any rights to the property? He had no children. He has one surviving brother and 9 nieces and nephews. Thanks for the help,

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Re: No will? Uncle added friend's name to accounts?

It depends on how the accounts read. Are there just names or "jointly with right of survivorship"?

First, the girlfriend would have no rights under Florida law to any assets that were not transferred to her prior to your uncle's death. To determine your rights to the condo, car and bank account I would need to know what exactly was done. For example, does the car title say "uncle AND girlfriend" or does it read "uncle OR girlfriend" or does it only have the name of the girlfriend. And, as to the condo, I would like see a copy of the deed that was recorded that allegedly transferred interest to her. I think you should speak with an attorney regarding your rights.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida