Georgia  |  Bankruptcy

A Quandary... where to file bankruptcy?

Over a year ago, I moved from Georgia to Alabama to take a contract position after losing a very lucrative job. My original job contract was for 6mos but was subsequently extended for a full year.

While in Bama, my GA drivers license was due to expire. I decided to get an Alabama DL ... mainly for the convenience of not having to drive to GA to renew my license. I later registered my vehicle in Alabama since I had a Alabama DL.

NOW ... I have decided to file for bankruptcy as I am unable to pay the debts I incurred when my salary was much higher. In addition, I have determined that I can qualify for either Chapter 13 or Chapter 7. But I am uncertain if I should file in GA or AL?

The only asset I care about retaining is the home in Georgia I resided in for 24 years and still consider my primary residence. I have continued to pay the mortgage and taxes on the home. My daughter currently lives in the house with a roommate. She pays the utilities but they also are in my name.

Given I would like to attempt to keep my "primary residence" in GA but am currently residing in Alabama .....

WHERE must or should I file for bankruptcy ....Alabama or Georgia?