Legal Question in Criminal Law in Georgia

disturbing the peace-- affray

what is a likley result for a first time offense for a minor bar fight that did not result in arrest? I was issued a summons to court for this offense what can i expect? i have been in the military for six years and have no past offenses and just returned from iraq any suggestions for when i go to court?

Ms. Tran Lankford Tran Lankford, Attorney at Law

Re: disturbing the peace-- affray

If the victim was not hurt, or if the other person involved in the fight with you, was actually the initial aggressor, then you will have even a better case. You would do better with an attorney than without one. You did not indicate which county this incident occurred in. In some counties and with the help of an attorney, you maybe able to get pre-trial diversion where you are on restrictio (something similar to probation) for a certain amount of time; then your charge will be dismissed at the end if you behave. With your Military service, you will be in a better position if nothing is on your record; and no "official probation" is in place. If you can tell me the county, I may be able to provide more information. It's free of charge to contact most attorneys for a brief telephone consultation.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Georgia