Legal Question in Elder Law in Georgia

We are in the state of Georgia. My mother-in-law was admitted to a nursing home on 9/17/12. The family is divided over how to handle her estate. While we were all still in discussion mode, my sister-in-law forged her mother’s signature on a Power of Attorney grant and had her cousin, who is a notary public, notarize the document with a false date (a date that occurred prior to her admittance to the nursing home). We are not interested in taking anyone to court – we just want to protect her assets where they can be used to pay for her care. What steps can we take, legally, to:

• Remove the power of attorney from this particular sister-in-law.

• Give the power of attorney to a different sister-in-law.

• Freeze the account (except for bills) while all of this is taking place.

• Ensure all decisions that affect her estate are made as a family - with a majority ruling.

• Ensure her estate remain intact until it is no longer of use to her.

Thank you very much! I so appreciate your help.

Asked on 10/03/12, 6:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You've alleged criminal activity by your family. You get a lawyer, and be prepared that a notary and your sister in law could end up in prison.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/12, 6:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88433 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now