We are in the state of Georgia. My mother-in-law was admitted to a nursing home on 9/17/12. The family is divided over how to handle her estate. While we were all still in discussion mode, my sister-in-law forged her mother’s signature on a Power of Attorney grant and had her cousin, who is a notary public, notarize the document with a false date (a date that occurred prior to her admittance to the nursing home). We are not interested in taking anyone to court – we just want to protect her assets where they can be used to pay for her care. What steps can we take, legally, to:
• Remove the power of attorney from this particular sister-in-law.
• Give the power of attorney to a different sister-in-law.
• Freeze the account (except for bills) while all of this is taking place.
• Ensure all decisions that affect her estate are made as a family - with a majority ruling.
• Ensure her estate remain intact until it is no longer of use to her.
Thank you very much! I so appreciate your help.