Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My Child Was Moved Out of State

My exwife and I shareoint custody of our child. I have very liberal visitation, every other weekend from

the close of school on Friday until

school starts on Monday. And every Wednesday night she stays with me from Wed. afternon until Th ursday

morning until I return her to school. I was able to go to her school functions visit with her for short periods and w were able to talk by phone often. Her mother moved her out of state and into her boy friends home and later married him. I had no address or phone no. to contact my daughter. I was mortified. I thought we were protected by our agreement in our divorce. Can she do all this?

Phillip A. Strickland Law Offices

Re: My Child Was Moved Out of State

A custodial parent must provide the non-custodial parent contact and location information regardng the children. If she has failed to do so, then she would be in contempt. Her ability to re-locate out of state is another, more complicated, issue. Generally, a custodial parent may re-locate out of state unless the divorce decree and agreement provides otherwise or the custodial parent's re-location was done in spite or to frustrate the non-custodial parent's visitation rights.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia