Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Would I be legally binded to take care of a child until 18 years of Age because I signed the birth certificate at birth, but found out later the child wasnt mine?

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

This is a complicated issue. I suggest you contact an attorney. Merely signing the birth certificate does not necessarily "bind" you. It does, however, set up the presumption that you are the father and believed yourself to be the father at the time of the child's birth. The mother has the right to file for child support at which time you could request a DNA test. If the test shows you are not the father, you are under no obligation to support the child. Unless you have submitted to a DNA test, you cannot assume the child isn't yours. Also make sure you did not sign an acknowledgment of paternity and to legitimate at the hospital. Contact an attorney.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia