Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Georgia

I have an idea for a consumer product and have created a prototype. I want to get a provisional patent on the idea. What does an intellectual lawyer need from me to get a provisional patent in play? Cad drawings, patent research, writeup, prototype? How long does this process take? What docs do I need to present to a China manufacturer to produce my idea after I have a provisional patent? I called Walmart and they have authorized manaufacturers they use as Tier I to distribute throughout their network. Thoughts here....it is a great idea...and does not exist so far. With universal thought, I need to get this to market. What are my next steps. I am in Fulton County Georgia. Thanks. SSS

Mark Torche Patwrite Law

The only thing your patent attorney needs is a good understanding of your invention. How he or she comes to a good understanding of your invention depends on the complexity of your invention and the background of the patent attorney (or agent). In general you do not need a prototype or CAD drawings, although if you have theses they can help your attorney understand your invention.

As to the time period, it can take a few weeks to put the application together, but can be done sooner if there is a pressing time need. I only write very thorough provisional applications as I believe that a flimsy provisional is almost worse than no application.

You likely donít need to show the Chinese manufacturing anything from the patent office, but this is not my area specialty, so I will suggest you get this answer from an attorney that specializes in international contracts.

You need to consult with an attorney or agent to get the process started. I would be glad to give you a free consultation to discuss it with you in further detail.

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys

Patents are very important items to get right and to get right quickly. Retain a good local patent attorney to discuss your situation ASAP.

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Georgia

Intellectual Property Legal Forms