Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Georgia

Sue for unpaid rent after default judgement

I went to court for eviction due to unpaid rent. The judge awarded the writ of possession by instanter and there was a default judgement because the tenants didnt show. The amount of unpaid rent was cited on the judgement but what exactly does that mean?

Won't I have to sue to try to get the money otherwise, a report on their credit report can show that they owe money.

Basically I want to try and get the money back or have a judgement show on their credit report until they do.

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys

Re: Sue for unpaid rent after default judgement

You cannot recover back rent in a default judgment pursuant to a dispossessory action. You must file a new, separate suit for the amounts owed by the tenant. You certainly can report the delinquent account to the credit reporting agencies.

If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to contact my office. My contact information is below. Thank you.

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Georgia

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms