Legal Question in Traffic Law in Georgia

Speeding in a school zone

I was ticketed for going 50 in a 25mph school zone in Cobb County. The officer hit me with laser as I was entering the zone. Is there anything I can do to get this dismissed or reduced? The ticket did not mention the school zone, just 40-6-181 for the charge.

Billy Tomlinson Tomlinson & Associates, LLC

Re: Speeding in a school zone

Nothing that will work. There are challenges to the laser but they are rarely successful and are too technical for a layman. The speed on the ticket "25" indicates it is a residential or school zone. The code section is simply the speeding code. The officer will tell the judge it was a school zone at court. You could take a defensive driving course and appear in court with that and ask for a speed reduction to keep it off your insurance but that is up to the judge.

Scott Carter Scott Carter Attorney at Law

Re: Speeding in a school zone

When making a charge of a speed violation, the summons or ticket is required to reflect the speed at which the charged party is alleged to have driven and the maximum speed applicable to the location. If this wasn't indicated on your ticket it may not preclude a prosecution of the case, but the omission could ultimately play in your favor. If the ticket is accurate and you were hit with a laser, you might want to consider a negotiated plea. School zone cases generally involve higher fines and the laser his hard to beat in court.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Georgia