Illinois  |  Tax Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/31/05, 5:13 pm

Can I apply for a Tax ID

I am a Cook Cty Resident (of Illinois), starting an internet webstore to sell purses. However I need a tax id to purchase purses from wholesale vendors. I do not have one and have inquired and the IRS website says to use my social security. However I do not want to use my social security number for security reasons. I would rather have a tax id number. Can I apply for a tax id (EIN number) and if so do I need to apply for the Federal OR State Tax ID or both? I am a sole proprieter with no employees, however my business could be set up as a partnership with my husband if needed.

I really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks much

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search