Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

Can I apply for a Tax ID

I am a Cook Cty Resident (of Illinois), starting an internet webstore to sell purses. However I need a tax id to purchase purses from wholesale vendors. I do not have one and have inquired and the IRS website says to use my social security. However I do not want to use my social security number for security reasons. I would rather have a tax id number. Can I apply for a tax id (EIN number) and if so do I need to apply for the Federal OR State Tax ID or both? I am a sole proprieter with no employees, however my business could be set up as a partnership with my husband if needed.

I really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks much

Mark Banks-Golub Attorney at Law

Re: Can I apply for a Tax ID

What you appear to be referring to is a sales tax exemption certificate. That is obtained from the Illinois Department of Revenue. You can find the form on the DOR website or an attorney can prepare the form and set up any type of business entity you may choose.

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms