Illinois  |  Business Law

misinterpretation of contract

I just started a window cleaning business. I was introduced to a developer on a newly built condo construction project and we discussed a proposal for window cleaning. I drafted an estimate and presented it to the developer for approval.

On presenting the draft, I pointed out exactly what was to be done: provide free service for screen cleaning, paint/debris removal and clean the windows for ''X'' amount. He agreed to the estimate and gave the go ahead to do the work.

After completing half the work, the developer claimed that I was not doing all the work that he expected: ''...clean all around the windows and clean out the tracks for the sliding glass doors.'' (A task which required the use of a vacuum cleaner)

Despite giving details of what exactly I proposed to do the developer seemed to interpret ''window cleaning'' as cleaining everything around the window frame. Perhaps my mistake was not putting in writing all that I proposed to do.

As a result of this mistake on my part, the developer chose not to pay me for half the work that was completed.

''Window cleaning'' is not an ambiguous statement. Besides, I thought I was perfectly clear on my intent.

What, if anything, are my options at this point?