Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

small claims; debt collection

A suit has been filed against me d/b/a ''family name'' rentals. First, I did not order the work done by the creditor, my nephew did. 2nd, the work was not completed (wrong septic tank pumped); 1 1/2 months later I called the creditor back as the tank backed up. They did not return my call; I hired another company who pumped tank and told me had not been recently pumped.

Last year I had notified the creditor who the owner of the rental was, and they were not to do any work without authorization from me or the owners. The owner is a corp that has not been renewed after the death of my brother who was president; the other owners being my father who is 85 years old and disabled and a non family member who has never been involved as he left. My capacity (as I told this creditor back last year) is that I am Power of Attorney for my father. Yet I am being sued personally and d/b/a a nonexistant business.

I went to the hearing and was not allowed to speak at all except to say that I would not allow a judgment against me. It was set for a trial. What can I do to show that I am not the owner; I did not order the service; and the service was not done in any event.

Asked on 8/15/08, 4:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lesley Hoenig Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: small claims; debt collection

When a corporation is dissolved, then a creditor is going to go after the individuals that would have been considered the shareholders of the corporation. I would recommend consulting an attorney about this, because I don't think this is a straightforward case where you definitely will avoid a judgment.

There are a lot of facts that have to be looked at, consulting with a local attorney who can look at all the facts would get you the best answer to your question.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/08, 12:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now