Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

online prescriptions

My daughter has been ordering a low grade pain reliever called tramadol over the internet for her migrane headaches. The company is in Texas and we live in Illinois. Apparently, she filled out a questionaire online and got a prescription for it and began recieving it. She is 22 and no longer on my insurance and she has no medical insurance of her own, so ordering online seems the cheapest way to get what she needs, but I am unsure as to the legality of ordering prescription drugs online. Is there anything illegal in doing this. I am especially concerned, because I had to sign for the drugs when she wasnt home and they were delivered. I dont want to get arrested for doing something illegal, so please let me know if there is anything I should know. Thank You.

Motty Stone Law Offices of Motty Stone

Re: online prescriptions

My biggest concern is that the person writing the prescription needs to be licensed to prescribe medication to someone in Illinois. I have seen this done before, but I think it would be a stretch to say that a medical license that is only valid in Texas (they go by State) would be honored in Illinois.

Depending on how you argue it, either the prescribing physician, the pharmacist, or both need to be licensed to give medication in Illinois. If you feel comfortable that this is the case, then I would not worry beyond that.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois