Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/08/07, 7:52 pm


My husband, who is in the military, filed for divorce from me in 2002, in the state of New York, where he was residing at the time. When I got the papers, I took them to a lawyer where I was living in Michigan to be reviewed, because we have a child together. I never heard from that attorney again, and never got the papers back. In 2004, my husband SAID he was ''working on it'' again, and has been saying that for the last 2 1/2 years. Now, apparently, his attorney has recently passed away, and his case is ''being referred to another attorney.'' He is CURRENTLY living in Virginia, but I think his Home of Residency is still New York. Can I start proceedings here, in Illinois, or do I have to keep waiting for him to do whatever it is that he's doing?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search