Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

divorce

My husband, who is in the military, filed for divorce from me in 2002, in the state of New York, where he was residing at the time. When I got the papers, I took them to a lawyer where I was living in Michigan to be reviewed, because we have a child together. I never heard from that attorney again, and never got the papers back. In 2004, my husband SAID he was ''working on it'' again, and has been saying that for the last 2 1/2 years. Now, apparently, his attorney has recently passed away, and his case is ''being referred to another attorney.'' He is CURRENTLY living in Virginia, but I think his Home of Residency is still New York. Can I start proceedings here, in Illinois, or do I have to keep waiting for him to do whatever it is that he's doing?

A. Olusanjo Omoniyi Omoniyi Law Firm, P. C.

Re: divorce

No, you do not need to wait. Either of you can initiate a divorce proceeding. If you meet the requirements for filing in Illinois you can certainly file a petition for dissolution of marriage. If you need further consultation contact my office.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois