Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois


My girl friend lives in the usa and is not a citizen we plan to marry .what do I need to do or can we just get married since she is here already?

Asked on 3/26/07, 8:31 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stewart Michael D. Stewart
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Marraige

Need to know if she is here on a valid visa or is a legal resident.

Read more
Answered on 3/27/07, 10:18 am
Amy Ghosh Law Offices of Amy Ghosh
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Marraige

Ofcourse you can get married. She should get citizenship so your case would be approved faster.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/07, 9:37 pm
A. Olusanjo Omoniyi Omoniyi Law Firm, P. C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Marraige

Your question is rather incomplete. Are you a citizen or permanent resident? Since your girlfriend is not a citizen, what is her status, is she a permanent resident? Both of you can get married. However, as to the issue of whether either of you can gain immigrant status or even citizenship in future, it all depends on your current immigration status. Thus, the immigration status of either of you will determine which of you can file for immigrant status. Need for information? Our office may help straighten things out. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/08/07, 8:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now