Legal Question in Personal Injury in Illinois

A Dog bite

My daughter is 6 years old. She was bitten by a dog twice on the face. She knew the dog that was tied up to a tree. My daughter did not enter the property of where the dog and owner lives. She was on the sidewalk when she was attacked. There are also no signs that state ''beware of dog'' posted. The dog is now being quarntined to the owners house for 10 days. What is my daughters and my families rights to insure this does not happen again to her or another child?

Mark Heftman Reibman, Hoffman, Baum, Hirsch & O'Toole

Re: A Dog bite

The city will make a determination as to whether the dog that bit your daughter is vicious. If so, the animal may be put to sleep and/or the city may sanction the owner, etc... As far as you're concerned, the owner is subject to strict liability for his/her dog's actions and it appears that you may have a solid cause of action. Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

Jeffrey Friedman Law Office of Jeffrey Friedman

Re: A Dog bite

Illinois law holds owners responsible for their dogs' actions. Please feel free to contact my office if you would like to discuss a possible case against the owner, on behalf of your child.

Robert Harlib Robert S. Harlib, Attorney At Law

Re: A Dog bite

It appears the local governmental authority is taking action to make certain the dog is not rabid or otherwise ill so as to make it violent. If circumstances warrant, it might be put down depending on local law. You have a separate right to bring suit on behalf of your daughter for injuries suffered by her on each separate occasion. I have handled dog bite cases so feel free to call me to discuss at 312-236-0290. I hope your daughter is feeling better.

Re: A Dog bite

Your family may want to follow up with the local government to see what action will was taken against the dog. It is up to the city/local government to decide whether or not this dog is a danger and what action is appropriate. In terms of your daughter's injuries, she has a strong case against the dog owner for her injuries, which includes: her medical bills, pain and suffering, any scars and any emotional damage caused by this traumatic event.

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Re: A Dog bite

You have the right to get compensated fairly for the injuries caused by the dog. The owner is responsible to pay for any tangible expenses, medical or otherwise, and any non-tangible expenses, pain and suffering. You do not mention anything about your daughterís injuries, so I assume they were minor (fortunately).

I hope this helps,

Nima Taradji

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Illinois