Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My father died earlier this year and his wife had a private autopsy done. She is refusing to share the findings with us (his children). Do we have any right to this information? Can a judge make her give us a copy of the autopsy report?

She also has possession of everything he owned even items aquired long before they were married, she is claiming everything became marital property when they married and she doesn't have to give us any of it if she doesn't want to. Is this correct?

Asked on 4/26/13, 12:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have no legal right to the autopsy unless you have a claim related to his

cause of death. If you are an adult child, you have no legal right to claim child

support. If he left a will giving all property to his wife, she is entitled to it. If his

estate requires probate court, you may be able to assert your right to a copy

of the will. If the "items" are personal property belonging to them jointly, she

has a right to the property.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 1:02 pm
Jeffrey R. Gottlieb Law Offices of Robert H. Glorch
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Did your father have a Will? That is very important. If so, what does it say?

What would be the purpose of requesting a copy of the autopsy?

As to property, the first question is how the property is titled. If they owned property jointly in joint tenancy, then it passes to her. If property was in your father's sole name then it passes through his estate under his Will.

You should gather the relevant information and consider discussing with a probate attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 1:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now