India  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/08/13, 5:52 pm

My father in India has incurred debt to the tune of 55 lakhs. He has no income now. My mother has some inherited property(land) in her name.My parents are trying to pay off at least some of the debt by selling part of her property. One part of that property has been bequeathed to me at the time of my wedding. This is not in my name but it was written that I will inherit it after her death. They have a house in whch they live which is completely in my brothers name which he helped built. The house is not inherited. If my father passes away, will my mother, brother or I be responsible for his debt. Will my brothers house or my mother's property be in jeopardy in that case. Can the creditors go after what property is left. Will transferring my share completely in my name help save that. We want to save some property to give my mother some financial security. Nobody has cosigned the loans that my father took.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search