Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

if I traveled to Iowa to enter a same sex marriage in iowa but we both live in Tennessee I've been told if we decided to divorce that the petitioner would have to live in Iowa for a year to file for divorce. Is this correct?

Asked on 9/12/13, 8:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

That is pretty much correct. In a dissolution here one person must be a resident and that's the test for residency. Of course there are other states that have legalized same sex marriage whose residency requirements may be less stringent.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/13, 6:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now