Legal Question in Constitutional Law in Kansas

Can I be sued for libel even if telling the truth

I would like to start a website that exposes my ex-wife's lover. It will be strictly factual with only background info on the situation. The rest will be instant messaging logs....maybe a picture of him. There is no emotion behind it any more, just wanting to let others know what kind of person he is.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Re: Can I be sued for libel even if telling the truth

There's no emotion behind this, huh? You might want to think twice about that one.

To answer your question -- yes, you can be sued for libel but you should win if you are. Truthful statements cannot be libelous.

HOWEVER, you can also be sued -- by both your ex-wife and her lover -- for invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and other causes of action. Such a lawsuit would probably be quite strong.

I should add that doing what you propose would not make you look very good even if no one sues you.

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in Kansas