Kansas  |  Elder Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/12/10, 8:29 am

My brother convinced my mother to sell him the family farm, all the buildings,vehicles and equipment for an amount far below the fair market value. In '87 Daddy valued the farm at over $600,000 and my brother bought all of it, including house contents for $147,000. Neither Mom or my brother had legal representation. My brother simply had a real estate agent meet them at the courthouse to get papers signed.

Within 3 months Mom "refunded" $30,000 because the farm was "just dirt". He also convinced her to put $20,000 of the proceeds into CD's in case of an emergency, but the CD's were joint with him. He cashed in half of them.

Then when Mom went to put $20,000 in annuities for both me and my sister, he convinced her that the bank had made a $20,000 error and deposited his deposit in her account instead of his and she wrote him a check for $20,000. There was no such error according to the bank.

Additionally, the $40,000 in annuities for my sister and me was actually put into one of Mom's annuities. Initially, the monies that are in the annuities were in mutual funds in Daddy's Trust. After Daddy died, my brother convinced Mom to move the money to annuities with him as sole beneficiary. He also had her designate him as sole beneficiary of her life insurance policy.

Now while I was sick and in the hospital for two months, he convinced Mom to cash in the last CD, set up a new joint bank account with Mom and him (the existing one is in the name of the Trust). He got her to have her social security check and monthly annuity payment transferred to the new bank account. He won't give her checks on the new account and says that when the Trust account is depleted then she will get the checks. He has all the statements and checks sent to him post office box, not to Mom.

What in the world can my sister and I do to get Mom's affairs back on track? The only thing I've managed to do is get her to redesignate all three children as beneficiaries of the annuities.

Mom is 82, has had a stroke a year ago, and I'm currently living with her to care for her since she should not be left alone.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search