Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Kansas

If a man dies without a will in Kansas. Does his wife get all the estate, does the estate have to be probated?

Asked on 1/11/10, 4:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keenan Post Post Warren Lindstrom, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Depends. If the person dies without a will and has children, all assets in the decedent's name will pass 50% to the surviving spouse and 50% to the children. More importantly is that all assets owned by the decedent and jointly with anyone, including the spouse, will pass automatically to the spouse on the person's death. Assets that name a beneficiary will pass to the named beneficiary, regardless of whether there is a spouse and/or children.

Read more
Answered on 1/17/10, 9:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Kansas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now