Legal Question in Business Law in Kentucky

I was promised (in different ways) a management job. It was told to me that if I did certain things (work a certain supervisor job) then I could get a management job, I did those things and then was promoted to an interim management position. There was an organizational chart posted for all employees to see and I was listed in this management position (like I already got it). When it came time for the interview I passed with flying colors. Then I was pulled in the office and (blindsided) told that they hired someone else for the position and that the only position open to me at that time was for a supervisory position for certain hours that I can not work. I told them if I was not qualified to work in the position that I had been working and was happy with then fire me. The main manager said if I resign he would not contest my unemployment. I said fine I'm done and walked out. Do I have a case? Can they fairly do this?

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Fairly, no. Legally? Probably. Unless you had a contract that says otherwise, are part of a union, or have been discriminated against in some way (based on race, gender, etc.), employment is at will. If they decided to boot you because your boss's nephew needed a job, which is probably what happened, they can do that.

More Business Law questions and answers in Kentucky

Business Law Legal Forms