Kentucky  |  Family Law

Sole Custody and Relocation

I am divorced and have sole custody of my 14 year old daughter. I live in the state of Kentucky and am going to remarry and move to Connecticut. I have already established employment and have begun the process of enrolling my daughter in school. My divorce decree states that my husband is to have reasonable visitation upon submission of a clean drug test to my attorney. He has not seen our daughter since the court ordered him to submit the drug test 7 months ago.

What is my legal obligation to notify my ex-husband of my intent to relocate (with my daughter) out of state? I have been told that because I have sole custody, I need only provide him with the new address and phone number and date of the move. I want to make sure I do this the right way. I don't want to receive a summons for kidnapping a few months down the road.

The divorce decree does not mention relocation. It only states that I am to provide my ex-husband with an address and phone number when taking my daughter away overnight.

Thank you in advance.