Kentucky  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/08/03, 7:56 pm

Sole Custody and Relocation

I am divorced and have sole custody of my 14 year old daughter. I live in the state of Kentucky and am going to remarry and move to Connecticut. I have already established employment and have begun the process of enrolling my daughter in school. My divorce decree states that my husband is to have reasonable visitation upon submission of a clean drug test to my attorney. He has not seen our daughter since the court ordered him to submit the drug test 7 months ago.

What is my legal obligation to notify my ex-husband of my intent to relocate (with my daughter) out of state? I have been told that because I have sole custody, I need only provide him with the new address and phone number and date of the move. I want to make sure I do this the right way. I don't want to receive a summons for kidnapping a few months down the road.

The divorce decree does not mention relocation. It only states that I am to provide my ex-husband with an address and phone number when taking my daughter away overnight.

Thank you in advance.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search