Legal Question in Criminal Law in Louisiana

Felony Theft--Maximun Sentence First & Last time Offender!!

I am charged with 2 counts of felony theft@$500 a piece. I have never been in any trouble with the law. What type of sentence can I get? What is the maximum? I am prepared to pay restitution, which will probably be required. I am a single mom and trying to avoid doing any hard time for the sake of losing custody of my child. Also, does this first time offender pardon law (?) appply to me?

Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)

Re: Felony Theft--Maximun Sentence First & Last time Offender!!

The maximum sentence for felony theft is 10 years, with or without hard labor and a maximum fine of $3,000.00. As a first time offender you should get probation and a fine plus court costs. You may also be eligible to have the charges against you dismissed without a conviction if you successfully complete your probation under the provisions of La. C.Cr.P. Art. 893. However, facing a felony charge I strongly suggest you consult an attorney.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Louisiana