Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

name change

I am trying to find out how to change your name in the state of Louisiana. My daughter's boyfriend is in the military. He is 19 and wants to change his last name to that of his step-father who has raised him. I was told that he had to file a petition in court. Does he have to appear? Does he have to file it in the state of his residence? Can he do it through the military or can he give someone power of attorney to do it for him?

Asked on 8/20/04, 2:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: name change

Since he's in the military, if he is stationed in La. he can use either La. or his home state for a name change. In La. he would have to file a suit against the DA of the parish in which he lives to change his name. He would not have to appear in court.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/04, 3:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now